If you’re lucky enough to have a walk-in master closet – whether it’s shared space or there are “his” and “her” versions – it pays off to plan your storage design.
So here are the top ten things to consider when planning this space (whether you’re doing it yourself or meeting with –oh – say – one of our fabulous design consultants).
Here’s the inside scoop on how to master “The Master”.
1) If it’s shared space, decide on the division. How much space will each person get? The typical division is 2/3 Hers; 1/3 His.
2) Do you need drawers and if so, approximately how many? And do you like deep drawers, shallow drawers, or a combination?
3) Shoe Storage. How many pair need shelf space? Honestly.
4) Make the Long Hang decision. How much of it do you need and where will it go? If space is tight, you don’t wear the Long Hang items frequently and you have other closets, consider moving the Long Hang out of the master closet.
5) Do you hang pants long or fold them over a hanger? This will help determine what other hanging space will be needed (short, medium or long).
6) Where does dirty laundry end up? And what about clothes that need to go to the drycleaner? Would you like pullout baskets/drawers for that?
7) Are you a “folder” or a “hanger”? People who fold most things need more shelves. People who hang need hanging space.
8) Do you like all of your clothing and shoes to be visible or behind doors/drawers?
9) Do you need a full-length mirror?
10) Do you travel and need a surface (island or peninsula) for packing?
11) Where will you sit to put on your shoes?
12) Would you like some hooks for hanging the clothes you “hang around the house in”. They’re so much better than the floor.
These are the things we “masters” consider when we have the privilege of working with people on this most important and intimate space. If your husband is the “master” in assisting you with this project, then he’s one lucky fella. And if that doesn’t work out – we’re here for you! Just schedule your complimentary in home consultation and we’ll make the process painless and the result beautiful.
Closet Organizing Systems Blog
tricks to make small spaces feel bigger closet mirrors pullout media cabinets contemporary closets custom wall units multifaceted office design ribbon storage ideas maximize closet storage closet master closet dressing room angies list super service awards closet os video garage organization bright color home decorating reach-in closets multi-functional office and storage create illusion of more space with mirrors gloss cabinet drawers beautiful custom storage solutions electronics charging station vertical and horizontal storage space interior design trends bathroom under stairs closet shoe organization furniture for small spaces attic storage ideas hiding wires with design pantry organization tips create a wood texture look with melamine closet remodeling shoe carousels grouping together food storage items ways to eliminate clutter in kitchen cabinets multi-functional mudroom design laundry basket storage new website layout master bedroom closet entryway storage closet os awards closetos new website design office organization closet accent lighting fold-out ironing board home office organization staircase sleeping nook closet lighting,remote controlled closet lightin multi-functional entryway utilize space under staircase reorganize clutter LIT from Keeler man cave updates media storage solutions challenging home organization solutions garage cabinets chalk board paint in kid's space boutique size walk in closet hiding fuse box in closet craft storage room pantry de-clutter cleaning supply storage spring closet cleaning organize shared closet space closet organizing systems video Laundry Room/Mudroom Best Of Houzz 2015 Design Award mahogany melamine look elegant prints fro home colorful playroom floor tiles pre-built cabinets custom closets angled closets reach in closets master closet design reduce clutter makeup vanities closet mirror with storage behind mail station create zones with design multi-use office Hafele LED drawer lighting custom storage solutions Home and Garage Organization award winning garage patterned glass and mirrored doors cordless lighting fixtures closet organization walnut and burl inlay melamine textures colorful children's space organization shoe cubbies ambient lighting multi-use office entryway under the stairs storage custom cabinets mirror placement in design Angies List 2014 Super Service Award closet lighting coat hanging attic closet solutions 2014 closet color trends home office custom bulit-in media center open shelving for shoes utilize pantry space Closets: Home Organizing Tips organizing tips antique decorating trends vacuum cleaner designing around obstacles closet design mudroom Home Organzing System home office design garage design designing with mirrors organized media center kids' closets angie's list award cover up computer and lighting wires Chicago closets Top Shelf Industry Design Awards closet organization systems awards briefcase storage remote controlled lighting full length vertical drape small windows Closet Design Tips Carrie Bradshaw shoe closet Chicago closet organizers pantry storage options adult and child locker storage eliminate electronic cable clutter benches with bins on wheels multi-function furniture shoe storage Old World Charm Closet master organizer build in storage Closets Magazine "Finding America's Best Rated Closets Companies" customer service vintage garage design incandescent and compact fluorescent shared closet organization family activity area balancing angled closet design led kids storage and organization ideas drying racks Zillow Digs under stairs bike storage closet geometry multifaceted office space office wall unit reduce clutter in home ultimate garage task lighting bedroom wall unit creative custom closet design comtemporary closet design closet organization tips laundry area with sink and chute gift bag storage spaces pantry organization shelving and storage under the stairs cedar backed closet vanities custom garage design solutions organized closet shoe closet design tips Kids Room Ideas for Playroom and Bedroom garage shelving luxurious home office spaces Best Of Houzz 2015 Customer Service Award pull out mirror gift wrapped storage station 2014 home decorating ideas multi-purpose storage shoe fences gift wrapping counter top built in usb cable stations shoe closet Closet Os Overview brass hardware