If you’re lucky enough to have a walk-in master closet – whether it’s shared space or there are “his” and “her” versions – it pays off to plan your storage design.
So here are the top ten things to consider when planning this space (whether you’re doing it yourself or meeting with –oh – say – one of our fabulous design consultants).
Here’s the inside scoop on how to master “The Master”.
1) If it’s shared space, decide on the division. How much space will each person get? The typical division is 2/3 Hers; 1/3 His.
2) Do you need drawers and if so, approximately how many? And do you like deep drawers, shallow drawers, or a combination?
3) Shoe Storage. How many pair need shelf space? Honestly.
4) Make the Long Hang decision. How much of it do you need and where will it go? If space is tight, you don’t wear the Long Hang items frequently and you have other closets, consider moving the Long Hang out of the master closet.
5) Do you hang pants long or fold them over a hanger? This will help determine what other hanging space will be needed (short, medium or long).
6) Where does dirty laundry end up? And what about clothes that need to go to the drycleaner? Would you like pullout baskets/drawers for that?
7) Are you a “folder” or a “hanger”? People who fold most things need more shelves. People who hang need hanging space.
8) Do you like all of your clothing and shoes to be visible or behind doors/drawers?
9) Do you need a full-length mirror?
10) Do you travel and need a surface (island or peninsula) for packing?
11) Where will you sit to put on your shoes?
12) Would you like some hooks for hanging the clothes you “hang around the house in”. They’re so much better than the floor.
These are the things we “masters” consider when we have the privilege of working with people on this most important and intimate space. If your husband is the “master” in assisting you with this project, then he’s one lucky fella. And if that doesn’t work out – we’re here for you! Just schedule your complimentary in home consultation and we’ll make the process painless and the result beautiful.
Closet Organizing Systems Blog
closet lighting cordless lighting fixtures challenging home organization solutions reduce clutter in home entryway storage closet design office wall unit gift bag storage spaces gloss cabinet drawers pre-built cabinets maximize closet storage closet organization tips vertical and horizontal storage space cleaning supply storage shoe fences ultimate garage 2014 closet color trends award winning garage open shelving for shoes bright color home decorating multifaceted office space vacuum cleaner Closets Magazine "Finding America's Best Rated Closets Companies" coat hanging multi-functional entryway multi-function furniture patterned glass and mirrored doors grouping together food storage items customer service beautiful custom storage solutions walnut and burl inlay spring closet cleaning chalk board paint in kid's space mudroom garage design interior design trends built in usb cable stations mail station Hafele LED drawer lighting Closets: gift wrapped storage station tricks to make small spaces feel bigger bathroom under stairs closet organization systems awards closet os awards utilize space under staircase led under stairs bike storage reach in closets contemporary closets pantry de-clutter designing around obstacles custom garage design solutions Laundry Room/Mudroom hiding wires with design closet shoe organization designing with mirrors closetos new website design full length vertical drape small windows shoe storage Chicago closet organizers pantry organization tips master bedroom closet shoe carousels Best Of Houzz 2015 Customer Service Award colorful playroom floor tiles melamine textures hiding fuse box in closet electronics charging station multi-functional office and storage utilize pantry space organized media center Best Of Houzz 2015 Design Award Closet Design Tips shoe closet design tips shelving and storage under the stairs briefcase storage closet remodeling closet accent lighting office organization closet master closet vintage garage design kids storage and organization ideas organize shared closet space dressing room multifaceted office design angie's list award Old World Charm Closet creative custom closet design comtemporary closet design pullout media cabinets create zones with design Home Organizing Tips closet lighting,remote controlled closet lightin 2014 home decorating ideas custom closets remote controlled lighting under the stairs storage organizing tips custom storage solutions kids' closets ambient lighting master organizer fold-out ironing board organized closet custom cabinets shoe closet antique decorating trends furniture for small spaces garage cabinets Closet Os Overview pull out mirror boutique size walk in closet closet mirrors man cave updates Home and Garage Organization cedar backed closet multi-purpose storage shoe cubbies adult and child locker storage multi-functional mudroom design create a wood texture look with melamine Chicago closets cover up computer and lighting wires master closet design closet organizing systems video Top Shelf Industry Design Awards task lighting home office organization makeup vanities reach-in closets reorganize clutter Carrie Bradshaw shoe closet pantry organization multi-use office craft storage room ribbon storage ideas angies list super service awards create illusion of more space with mirrors new website layout multi-use office entryway home office design elegant prints fro home drying racks ways to eliminate clutter in kitchen cabinets attic storage ideas shared closet organization benches with bins on wheels media storage solutions closet mirror with storage behind laundry area with sink and chute colorful children's space organization garage shelving reduce clutter Zillow Digs mirror placement in design LIT from Keeler custom wall units vanities family activity area closet os video closet organization mahogany melamine look pantry storage options bedroom wall unit Angies List 2014 Super Service Award gift wrapping counter top Home Organzing System attic closet solutions garage organization Kids Room Ideas for Playroom and Bedroom laundry basket storage eliminate electronic cable clutter incandescent and compact fluorescent staircase sleeping nook brass hardware build in storage